Lonnie Young had originally joined the Pittsburgh Maulers after USFL season one. Young was hired in October of 2022, and helped contribute to Pittsburgh turning their organization around. In 2023, the team finished with a 4-6 record, but made a late push to the Championship.
Now, the reins are being handed to Dennis Polian. Polian has plenty of experience in the world of football. He’s had stints in the NCAA, CFL, and NFL. Most recently, he was with the Baylor Bears as their Chief of Staff/Senior Associate AD.
– 2006-2007: Director of Football Operations at Tulane University
– 2008-2009: Assistant GM for CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats
– 2009-2017: Served with multiple NFL teams, including Vikings, Titans, and Colts
– 2018-2019: Associate AD and Director of Player Personnel at Texas A&M
– 2020-2021: Chief of Staff and Associate Athletic Director at Arizona
As the Pittsburgh Maulers head towards the 2024 USFL season, expect the team to continue to make moves. Right now, the organization is looking to re-sign key players on expiring contracts, as they’ve already brought back some familiar faces (i.e. Terry Beckner Jr., Keith Gipson, Madre London, etc.).
With Dennis Polian at the helm, it will be intriguing to see if the Maulers take a different direction in certain areas for 2024.
What are your thoughts on Dennis Polian being hired in Pittsburgh? Let us know down in the comments below, or join the conversation on Discord!